Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The "People Person" Problem

Since this is my first blog it's probably fitting to introduce myself formally. My name is Chris Haskins. I am currently a senior at St. Norbert College in De Pere, Wisconsin. My major is Business Administration with a concentration (like a mini minor for those unfamiliar with the concept) in Human Resources. When I'm not learning about HR I spend my time playing lacrosse (Thus HRlaxer a combination of my two passions), or spending time with my fraternity brothers in Tau Kappa Epsilon. I'm still the active treasurer for the lacrosse team on campus (3 years in a row now), and have held positions in new member education and brotherhood areas within my fraternity. When I'm not in beautiful De Pere I reside in my hometown of Beloit, Wisconsin.

Well, now that everyone knows where I am coming from I can explain where this blog is going. Essentially, this blog is to share my ideas on HR as a student that is still learning what there is to know about HR. My views may not always be "right" or in line with popular thought, but they are what I perceive as a student. I am very open to comments, criticism, or any other form of feed back I just ask that it is constructive. Since I am an apprentice in a trade full of masters I don't pretend to know everything, nor do I think it is ever a good idea to claim full knowledge.

Anyway, with all that said it's time to get to the topic at hand.

I hear all the time in class, while reading blogs, or talking with my mother (who is a HR professional) that if the sole reason you want to be in HR is because you "like to help people" that you should not be in HR. My favorite response is "you should go into social service then." This raises many questions for me. The biggest being how can you be in HR and not be a people person?

The problem with this idea is that it pushes out compassionate people that do genuinely enjoy working with people that are capable of being great HR and business people. I will agree that if the only reason a person is interested in getting into HR is to work with people it is probably the wrong choice mainly because they don't realize the business aspect of the job. Obviously, that will only end in tears. On the other side of the coin, there are some aspects of being a human resources person that demands a lighter touch. For example, if i come in and need to talk about going on a leave of absence because my father is ill I don't want someone to tell me "Alright well you have X amount of weeks. Goodbye." It all just seems tasteless in my opinion. However, if the situation is taken with more human passion it would avoid that bad taste that many people leave a HR office with (one of those sayings that I have not experienced myself, but heard enough about).

My friends are good examples of people who have a negative views on HR professionals. Many times they have mentioned how I don't seem like the stuffy or soul crushing type of HR professional they're used to. I don't know if these thoughts are based on experience or maybe the "popular" view of HR, but either way it's an awful stigma that follows HR. These might be just simple stereotypes, but, like most stereotypes they are, in some degree, based on fact which comes from non-people people in HR.

Just by the nature of the position we can't always be the "good guys". Sometimes lay-offs need to happen, or an unpopular policy needs to be put in place in order to protect the company as a whole. On the other hand there is so many opportunities to help people grow, and expand their knowledge or skill base that I think don't get utilized.

Coaching is a great example of being able to help people in a way that is beneficial for both the person and the company. In my example, coaching young lacrosse players I help facilitate the growth of certain skills (passing, shooting, teamwork). Where as in HR we can coach or train people to help their work experience. In both cases we are helping facilitate an environment where skills can be learned and then transferred into game (or work) situations. As long as the employee thinks they have spent their time and effort on something that they believe will help them now or later on they will appreciate the effort from HR and slowly gain a better view on HR as a whole.

So, I think people that want to help people have the same right to be in HR as anyone else. In fact, even more of a right if you ask me. The only difference being that they also have to understand the business side of the position. In order to help people we need to show that helping adds value.

In the end if you take the HR out of heart you're left with eat, and I'm tired of HR being seen as a soul eater.

Thank you for taking the time to read my first blog. Please feel free to leave comments and constructive criticism. I realize I'm fighting an up hill battle with this topic and may seem a little "wet behind the ears", but it's always been a phrase that bugs me. As I write more blogs I will get a better handle on the process.

11 comments:

  1. First of all, welcome! As a person who shares a hometown with one of my favorite college players of all time (Kyle Weaver), you're doubly welcome.

    I wrote a post about this a while ago on my blog and I think the main point is that you can't go into it for that reason primarily. I still think it is an important skill set and one that aids HR professionals in their day to day work. But HR is also about meeting business objectives too. Some of them won't be easy ones if you're in it primarily for the people.

    Looking forward to seeing more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the wide world of HR blogging. Good to have you around. From your first post, it looks like Matt taught you well. :-)

    Great first post and looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to HR. I think it's so cool you're already blogging! You will meet great people, mentors and connections out here.

    I don't think you are fighting an uphill battle with this topic. Of course you can and should be a people person to work in HR. regulations, legal requirements, etc.
    You also need a long list of skills and abilities beyond being a people person (follow-through, detail-orientation, analytic ability, persistence, initiative, technical HR knowledge. and so many more). Maybe that's part of what your mom is talking about.

    Good luck with school, lax, and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogging world! Being a people person and helping the business achieve their goals are not mutally exclusive. It's all about coaching and education (as you mentioned).

    The challenge is coaching needs to happen all the time...not just when things go wrong.

    Congrats again on launching your blog. Look forward to reading more.

    - Sharlyn Lauby (aka HR Bartender)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris-Thanks for the thoughtful post.

    Is there any any definition for the term "people person"? It seems that it's a self-described (or -diagnosed?) condition.
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Chris, I reckon you have a pretty balanced and mature view of the world of work.

    To elaborate on one of your points, I get the impression that much HR work goes unnoticed within an organisation. Hence you're left with the widely-held opinion that HR is ineffectual, or a cost to the business, or - worse - just there to deal with the negative stuff.

    I think that if you work for a good organisation that aligns its HR goals to its business objectives, and HR is tasked with employing and engaging the best people, then HR is every bit a business success driver.

    An HR role doesn't mean you have to solely become the 'people police'.

    Good luck in your career and look forward to hearing about your development.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for such great feedback. I'm hoping to be able to make at least one entry a week. I hope as time goes on my entries will become more fluid, more thought out, and show the evolution I make thanks to my HR class.

    Please stay tuned.

    Also, Lance, I actually had the pleasure of knowing Kyle personally when we went to the same high school. Great guy and an awesome family. Sadly my last memory of him was blowing a game at state his senior year. Doesn't seem to have held him back much though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, you seem to have good instincts and if helping people is your passion, you will find your niche in HR. Follow your bliss and the rest will come. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You hit on something very important - the ability to show VALUE. As long as you "see" that in any function you do - you shouldn't have to worry. Keep em coming

    (ReThinkHR.org & @BenjaminMcCall)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice first post! There are plenty of perceptions about 'evil HR' folks out there and sadly, just as many 'professionals' that reinforce the perception every day. Alternately, there are also tremendous HR professionals who take seriously the value they add to attracting and retaining the talent that defines an organization. Say what you want, it's the PEOPLE who make any business successful. The HR profession should count its lucky stars to have you in its midst (and I count my lucky stars to have you as my son!)

    Terri Burdick
    Sr. Vice President
    Blackhawk Bank

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great first post! As I recall most 'first posts' are along the lines of 'Gee, look at my new blog...'. So you have already surpassed 99% of everything that is out there. I think you hit on some good points, and the need for HR and HR professionals to find the right balance. Really good job and I look forward to your upcoming pieces.

    ReplyDelete